How to Measure for Board Mounted Valances
For Board Mounted Valances:
- Measure the width of the area you would like to cover, including the molding on both sides of the window.
- The top wood board will be the exactwidthyouspecify. Nowood sideboard returns are used in these styles; fabric hangs off the edge of the top board.
- If you are layering your valance or upholstered cornice board over an existing blind, shade, or drapery, measure your width, including any hardware you wish to cover, then add 1"-6" to that measurement.
For Upholstered Cornice Boards:
- Follow the measuring instructions for board mounted valances and add 2" to valance width measurement to compensate for the width of the wood sideboard returns and the fiberfill batting.
EXAMPLE: If window is 100" wide add 2" and use 102" for your width.
2. Choose Your Projection From The Wall
- If you are layering your valance over an existing blind or shade, measure the projection of that blind and add at least 2" to that number. Your valance should project at least 2" away from the blind it is covering.
NOTE: Two return (depth) sizes are available:
- 4" for mounting over blinds and shades
- 7" for mounting over drapery treatments